Pricing a logo in 2019 - 2020?

This one is a very frequent question. How much to charge for a logo? How should you charge for a logo? is it per hour? per project?

But first. What is a logo? What is a client asking when they say they need a logo?

Many times when we talk about creating a logo for a customer we are talking about much more than a design. In fact, design tends to be the last thing that “matters.” Before that there must be a study of the brand, an objective, what they want to convey and the story that the logo has to tell.

Normally together with the logo the following things are delivered:

• Patterns
  • Applications
  • Colors
  • Typefaces
  • Illustrations

These are some of the rules that I follow when a customer asks me for a logo.

Put a price on the client, not the job.

At first this may sound morally wrong. Why could one price for one customer and another price for another if ultimately both are asking for the same job?

The answer is: The risk.

What is the risk your client is taking with the work he is asking for? Your logo will appear on a pamphlet offering guitar lessons on a lamppost in some suburb or will it be painted on hundreds of airplanes, hangars, cardboard boxes and uniforms around the world?

How much will your client invest in the logo you are going to build? What happens if something goes wrong? What happens if the logo suffers a backlash because the symbol represents something prohibited for some religion in some country in the world that you had never heard of mentioning before, but, by chance, is your client’s main market?

You First

How much does it cost you to run your business? How much does it cost to make your studio lights turn on every day?

This is another reason why thinking of a fixed price to create a logo is ridiculous. Is not the same. Nothing is the same. It will not cost the same to hire you than to hire another person who pays $ 0.10 a month for electricity in the other part of the world.

I know what you are thinking. “But then, if there is someone who has lower costs than mine, I will always lose.” Error, I will explain below why this is false.

Why charging per hour is the worst mistake you can make?

Well, that’s wrong, and it’s your job to work towards making your clients understand that is not the way you interact with your customers.

You are likely to face questions like … “I need to know how much you charge me the hour to understand where the price you are charging me comes from” or some will say “my accountants want to know how many hours the project took you, they are asking for a breakdown”

How can we respond to that without having to send the client to hell?